Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Contradictory...

Even in the run-down dirty,congested and terrible living conditions in Mentari, there are still people who make the effort to decorate their houses during the Festival of Lights. This was taken during Deepavali and as I walked pass this, it brought a smile to my lips, thinking of how some people leap at the very chance of having a holiday and decorating.


This is Fluffy.


This is how my sister takes a break from all her studying. The poor dog may look tortured but she is actually enjoying it.


On the way to cousin's wedding. Wore a dress that belonged to my aunty. This dress is almost 25 years old? Not so sure about the age but it is definitely from the past where bell bottoms and frizzy long hair were in fashion. My mum has been recycling her old (old as in, clothes that she wore when she was young, not the old,unwanted clothes) by taking them out of those old dusty cardboard boxes and dressing me up in them. I have to say, some of the dresses do look like they are bought from those famous and over-priced shops like Forever 21, Topshop and others. =)

Now, with all the free time, I am going to waste it by baking and cooking. Mum just bought a cookbook entitled 'Grandma's quick and thrifty cookbook' and I am, in a way going to try cooking and baking all the recipes in there.
My source of inspiration? I've been addicted to the movie Julie & Julia which for some reason, I can't help but to watch it over and over again.

When I am old enough to support myself with my own house, I'm going to have a whole room specifically for books only. A whole personal library of books. Ranging from cookbooks to storybooks, fiction and non-fiction, science fiction, romance novels, adventure stories, mystery and maybe a small collection of horror/murder stories.

Imagine the collection of books, just for recipes, and the ones above are just a fraction of recipe books. Try imagining owning and buying all the recipe books in the world. I can open a small library by then. =)

You want to know what can really make me happy? What makes me contented and warm and gushy, you know, besides eating...

Books.

Endless, thousands of books, waiting for me to read them. Sitting quietly in a corner, filled with books. Turning each page, reading from cover to cover, book by book. I am already planning to build a collection of books. Something like the pictures below.


That's were I feel one should spend their quiet times in. Maybe it's just me.

A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy. ~Edward P. Morgan


I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. ~Anna Quindlen, "Enough Bookshelves," New York Times, 7 August 1991

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers. ~Charles W. Eliot


To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations - such is a pleasure beyond compare. ~Kenko Yoshida


Lord! when you sell a man a book you don't sell just twelve ounces of paper and ink and glue - you sell him a whole new life. Love and friendship and humour and ships at sea by night - there's all heaven and earth in a book, a real book. ~Christopher Morley


These are just some of the meaningful quotes I found from this website. Click on the link and read through them.

So, I am challenging/encouraging you to pick up a book and throw it at someone. Hahha,was just testing whether you were asleep or not. =p Nah, try reading a book. If you didn't like the book you read, pick up another and another until you have found the one you like, the one you found inspiring, the one you found love.

No comments:

Post a Comment